MIPS Magnum update

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: MIPS Magnum update
From: Ryan Rafferty <rraffer1@osf1.gmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 13:30:29 -0500 (EST)
For the first time, my MIPS Magnum has its onboard SONIC ethernet adapter
recognized by the kernel, using Thomas Bogendoerfer's 2.2.1 kernel for the
Olivetti M700.  This is good news because the ethernet adapter was not
recognized by the 2.1.99 kernel, though it worked for the M700.

However, after the "freeing unused memory" and "mounting root" messages
the boot process halts without starting INIT.  I believe that is because I
am using the old root-2 disk image plus some older RPMS for a boot disk;
am I correct in assuming that I need to update the root image for use with
newer kernels?  If so, can I use the RPMS from
intel.cleveland.lug.net:/pub/Mipsel/RPMS (compiled for the Cobalt Qube) or
must I use the RPMS for DECStations?

Once I get a working userland I will try to find the source for the Linux
framebuffer X-server and see if it compiles on MIPS (or has this already
been accomplished?).  Between FB compatibility on the G364 provided by
Thomas and the standard PS/2 mouse on the Magnum I hope to have X running
smoothly soon.

Thanks,
Ryan Rafferty