RE: Linux MIPS

To: ssibert <>
Subject: RE: Linux MIPS
From: Harald Koerfgen <>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 23:54:02 +0100 (MET)
Hello Scott,

On 24-Mar-99 ssibert wrote:
> Hello.
> Is this address still valid for Linux on MIPS?

Yes, it is.

> I have a DECstation 5000/260 (r4400) with 128mb memory and I would love
> to get Linux running on it.  I also have a Personal DECstation.

you may want to give

a try. Altough still in a *very* experimental state we have serial
console, networking and SCSI running, well, sort of :-). This source tree
should work on both but Linux/MIPS isn't generic yet, i.e. you have to
make shure to compile this source tree for the right target CPU.

> I'm currently running Linux on a 486, a P100, a Cyrix P166+, and an AMD
> K6-2
> 333 (3dnow!) and I know a decent amount about Linux.

If your i386 boxen are glibc based you can get an crosscompiling
environment from

and additional information is available via:,v

> Thank you.

Never mind. If you have further questions, feel free to ask me.