Re: Linux on an old Siemens RM400?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux on an old Siemens RM400?
From: Florian Laws <florian@void.s.bawue.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:55:42 +0100
On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 11:01:26PM +0100, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 09:48:30PM +0100, Florian Laws wrote:
> > I wonder if there is such a thing like _the_ RM400.
>
> the RM400s are still alive. Look at the Siemens web pages. But I guess
> some of the internals have changed (PCI bus instead of EISA, etc.)

That's what I meant when I said _the_ one RM400 doensn't exist. ;-)

> Getting running Linux/MIPS on a new MIPS platform is only a matter of
> getting hardware (most important) and documentation to the right person(s).

Pity I can get only one machine and I'd like to keep it for myself. ;-))
So I suppose I have to become a kind of kernel hacker myself.
I hope it doesn't hurt too bad. ;-\

Speaking of documentation: When I was on the CeBIT in Hannover, I asked
the RM400 people at the Siemens booth for developer documentation and they
told me that documentation should be shipped with the machine.
Is Siemens documentation _that_ comprehensive or didn't the salesmen realize
what kind of docu I was asking for?

Thanks,

Florian

--
"A user interface geek is someone geeky enough to realize what the
nongeeks want to work with."