Re: Little Endian - Debian/Linux/MIPS Port

To: Karel van Houten <>
Subject: Re: Little Endian - Debian/Linux/MIPS Port
From: Russell E Glaue <>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:48:22 -0600 (CST)
Yes, I have seen the DECstation site, but I do not own a DECstation
system. What my work place has are Deskstation Mainboards with the
MIPS R4600 processor.
Is the DECstation port compatible with the Deskstation bios and related
system chipset and hardware? I didn't think it was.

:|Hi Russ,
:|Have a look at the DECStation linux port pages at:
:| or at my personal decstation page at:
:| (more up-to-date).
:|This is a Little Endian port of Linux for R3000 / R4000 DECStations.
:|Russ wrote:
:|> In Summary.
:|>  No Linux Kernel binaries exist for little endian. Whether or not a
:|>  working kernel for little endian can even be cross-compiled for the
:|>  little endian is dependant upon the current maintenance status of the
:|>  Linux kernel source code for linux-mipsel which I do not know.
:|>  So the only thing that those interested in running Linux on little endian
:|>  can do is either cross their fingers and hope things work out with my
:|>  efforts, or help develop a running port of linux on little endian which
:|>  might include cross-compiling and/or kernel hacking. The latter is
:|>  encouraged.
:|>  Also, anyone at all out there who can give me solid information about the
:|>  current maintenance status of linux-mipsel in the Linux Source code, or
:|>  what not, is appreciated.
:|Karel van Houten
:|The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better."
:|I can't understand why it won't work on my Linux computer.

|--- Russell E. Glaue ( ) |
|--- |  that's my only excuse.

   Support Fine Arts Education in the USA.