Re: DECstation bootloader

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation bootloader
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 12:02:23 +0100 (MET)
Cc: K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi Karel and all,

On 19-Mar-99 Houten K.H.C. van (Karel) wrote:

> Harald Koerfgen wrote:
[some stuff snipped]
>> I have been able to boot a whole kernel without any bootloader!

> I tried this, and promptly I erased my partition table from my disk :-(.
> I'll have to recreate that tomorrow.

Sorry about that, Karel. I've tried bootprep on a disk without any
partition table and had no problems.

> I think Harald meant "objcopy -O binary /usr/src/linux/vmlinux /Image",
> not objdump.

Oops, you're right.

> Harald, what type of partition table do you use? your program bootprep
> program produces 512 bytes of output, so many partition tables
> might be damaged.

Have you been using NetBSD and can it be that NetBSD stores partition
information in sector 0?

If so, then NetBSD is on the wrong track because sector 0 belongs to the
PROM. Period.

> After that minor disaster, I tried to boot 'boot 3/rz0', but the system
> just resets.
>
> Any hints?

Please make shure that boot_block->loadAddr and boot_block->execAddr
(lines 150 and 151 of bootprep.c) correspond to LOADADDR and kernel_entry
and do _not_ use nbImage _but_ vmlinux for bootprep. I've tested bootprep
on my /133 in the meantime and it works as well.

FYI:

/260: KN05 V2.1k
/133: KN02-BA V5.7j

Have fun.