Re: DECstation bootloader

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation bootloader
From: "Houten K.H.C. van (Karel)" <K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:19:39 +0100
Cc: K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com
Harald Koerfgen wrote:
> Ok, I wrote a small and simple utility to assemble such a list of ranges
> and create a bootsector from that. Then I created a kernel image with
> "objdump -O binary /usr/src/linux/vmlinux /Image" and invoked "bootprep
> /Image /dev/sdb" and guess what, it worked!
>
> I have been able to boot a whole kernel without any bootloader!
>
> This is obviously only a short term solution, but it shows that we can
> build a "second stage" bootloader of nearly arbitrary size with all the
> features we want, i.e. deal with different partition tables, different
> filesystems and different object formats and so on.
>
> For those of you who want to play around with this, bootprep.c can be
> downloaded from ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/. It takes two
> arguments, the first is the file to be booted which has to be in binary
> format and the second is the file to which the bootsector is to be
> written. The load address and the start address of the binary are
> hardcoded in the source.

I tried this, and promptly I erased my partition table from my disk :-(.
I'll have to recreate that tomorrow.

I think Harald meant "objcopy -O binary /usr/src/linux/vmlinux /Image",
not objdump.

Harald, what type of partition table do you use? your program bootprep
program produces 512 bytes of output, so many partition tables
might be damaged.

After that minor disaster, I tried to boot 'boot 3/rz0', but the system
just resets.

Any hints?

Regards,
Karel.