Re: Linux on an old Siemens RM400?

Subject: Re: Linux on an old Siemens RM400?
From: Florian Laws <>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:48:30 +0100
On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 10:30:56PM +0100, Michael Engel wrote:
> Hi,
> >
> > I have the possibility to get hold of a rather old SNI RM400 server,
> > but before I say "Yes, I want to have it" and afterwards am alone
> > with a big box of high-tech garbage, I'd like to have some opinions.
> > Is it possible to get Linux up and running on this machine?
> Possible yes - done no. There is some support for the RM200C and RM200
> (the PCI and VLB/ISA based MIPS workstations from SNI) but not yet for the
> RM400.
I wonder if there is such a thing like _the_ RM400.
The last 8 years Siemens surely has changed quite a lot on the hardware side.

> > I know that it may need some hacking and even though I've never messed
> > with the Linux kernel before I'm willing to try, but is it worth the
> > while?
> Hmmm, that depends on what you want to do with the machine ;-).

I don't know. ;-)
Just play around with it and a reasnably modern OS on it
(read: not the antique SINIX)
Of course brag about: "Hey I got a real big fat Dual-MIPS-RM400-Server" ;-))
> > I know that the information I can give you today is hardly useful and
> > I am trying to get some more, what information is important that you
> > can help me?
> Before the machine gets thrown away ... if you don't want the machine, let
> me know ;-).

Ok, I'll tell you.

I am a signature-virus. Why don't copy me into your sig?