Re: Linux on an old Siemens RM400?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux on an old Siemens RM400?
From: Florian Laws <florian@void.s.bawue.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:42:21 +0100
On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 12:12:34AM +0100, Sylvain FAVRE wrote:
> Michael Engel wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, I doubt that Sinix doesn't support a RM400 machine. It
> > will be expensive to upgrade, though ...
> >

> You can install Reliant Unix 5.43C40 , it's Y2K compliant and it's work on old
> system

Are you sure?
The vendor of the company I can get the machine from told them there was
no way to make that particular box Y2K compliant.
Of course vendors want to sell new hardware too. ;-)

But how much does Reliant Unix cost? I dont't think I have the money for
this system, and even if I had, I don't think I'd want to spend it on the
old box. After all, the machine is 8 years old, and I'd bet my PC ist faster.
This is for hack value only. (Although that doesn't mean I really wanted to
port Linux to the machine, sorry folks - NetBSD comes to mind. Any opinions?)

Thanks,

Florian

--
I am a signature-virus. Why don't copy me into your sig?