Re: Linux on an old Siemens RM400?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux on an old Siemens RM400?
From: Michael Engel <engel@math.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:30:56 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> I have the possibility to get hold of a rather old SNI RM400 server,
> but before I say "Yes, I want to have it" and afterwards am alone
> with a big box of high-tech garbage, I'd like to have some opinions.
> Is it possible to get Linux up and running on this machine?

Possible yes - done no. There is some support for the RM200C and RM200
(the PCI and VLB/ISA based MIPS workstations from SNI) but not yet for the
RM400.

> I know that it may need some hacking and even though I've never messed
> with the Linux kernel before I'm willing to try, but is it worth the
> while?

Hmmm, that depends on what you want to do with the machine ;-).

> What I know about the machine at the moment is this:
>
> Its a Siemens/Nixdorf RM400 manufactrued in 1991,
> MIPS dual processor,
> it is running an antique Version of SINIX, which is not Y2K compliant,
> that's the reason why the company that owns the machine is giving it away.
> Current versions of SINIX do not run on the box.

Hmmm, I doubt that Sinix doesn't support a RM400 machine. It
will be expensive to upgrade, though ...

> I know that the information I can give you today is hardly useful and
> I am trying to get some more, what information is important that you
> can help me?

Before the machine gets thrown away ... if you don't want the machine, let
me know ;-).

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.org)