Re: [Re: Any sort of how-to for Linux on Magnum 4000pc?]

To: Gleb Raiko <glebraiko@netscape.net>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: [Re: Any sort of how-to for Linux on Magnum 4000pc?]
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:09:54 +0100
On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 12:18:28PM +0100, Gleb Raiko wrote:

> I've made first try. It was unsuccessful for very simple reason: to boot and
> debug the kernel you need to know addresses of prom procedures like printf and
> Co. I even hacked RISC/os image to steal those addresses. Didn't help. :-(.
> So, it's not that easy, if you haven't got a lot of docs on your Magnum.

I've made an VME bus system based on the old MIPS PROMs working.  It was
reaonsably simple, given that I had support from the people who made the
VME toaster.  I think I know most of what is required to boot such a thing.
Aside of that, for an initial version the PROMs can even be ignored even
though that would mean loosing the possibilty of getting the PROMs
Ethernet address and other settings.