Re: Mips Port - Xterminals?

To: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Subject: Re: Mips Port - Xterminals?
From: Ryan Sweet <ryan@end.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:08:07 -0800 (PST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
I work for NCD, which now owns the network display unit of Tek, (the unit
that made the aforementioned Xterms...). Let me know what models you are
working with and I will see what I can do about getting the hardware docs.
I plan to work on linux for our current line of terminals (r4300
processor, based on the old tek terminals) very soon now, but I'm
currently absorbed in using my spare time (ie, these are not official NCD
projects) to get linux going on our low-end CE terminal, as CE is much
less useful than NC Bridge, which runs the Xterms...  any help with the
former would be spectacular.

regards,
-ryan

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <86256736.00684753.00@sntnotes1.sonat.com>
> David_Wilkins@sonat.com writes:
> : I have some old (7) X-Terminals from Tektronix.  They appear to be based on
> : the R4xxx chipset.  In your estimation, for a reasonably competent
> : C-Programmer, how long to make the MIPS port work on one of these?  I have
> : Linux i386 and love it, and would love to teach these X-Terminals how to be
> : real computers.  There is no harddrive, but it remote boots via TFTP or
> : NFS.
> :
> : I understand that X-Free86 would be required for X-Windows, etc.  I would
> : like to know your opinion before twisting some arms to get the hardware
> : specs.
>
> Given the specs, it wouldn't take more than a few weeks/months of off
> time hacking to get these things working, with the possible exception
> of X which may take longer.  You are looking at interfacing to the
> boot loader, figuring out where the hardware is and how to probe for
> it, writing drivers for any hardware that doesn't have drivers and
> implementing an X server.  Most X terminals don't have too many
> devices to worry about (a graphics engine, a keyboard, a mouse,
> sometimes some kind of serial interface, an ethernet interface, RAM,
> ROM and a CPU and sometimes a bell/sound device), so this shouldn't be
> that hard, if you have specs.  If you don't have specs, then you could
> do it, but it would take a lot of disassembly and patience to get the
> job done.  Oh, and you might have file format conversion issues too.
>
> How fast are the R4xxx chips?  What models are they, exactly?
>
> Warner

Ryan Sweet
ryan@end.org
http://the.end.org/ryan