Re: Any sort of how-to for Linux on Magnum 4000pc?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Any sort of how-to for Linux on Magnum 4000pc?
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:44:09 +0100
On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 04:15:32PM -0700, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> > the current 2.2.1 kernel built from CVS should be the best bet. I'll
> > upload a kernel in the next days to ftp.linux.sgi.com
> > there is a root filesystem:

ok, here is the kernel

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips//test/vmlinux-magnum-2.2.1-990316.gz

>       What I'm thinking of doing here is mounting the scsi drive on my
> intel system and then moving it to the mips system when it's ready to go.
> It sounds like that should be possible from what you're saying.

yes, that should do. You must setup a small dos partition (mine is 20MB,
because I usally have some kernels and the M700 config tools lying on
that partition) and a normal ext2fs partition (or several of them,
if you like). A swap partition is also a good thing to have.

>       How involved is the bootloader setup? is the ARC prom on the Mips
> going to act more or less like the ARC prom on my alpha?

yes, it's similair to the Alpha ARC. I'm booting linux by doing following
at the arc prompt:

c:vmlinux root=/dev/sda2

If you use the first primary partition for the DOS filesystem (I'm not sure,
but it's possible that the DOS partition must be the first one) and the second
as your ext2fs root filesystem, it should work for you with the same command.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]