Re: Any sort of how-to for Linux on Magnum 4000pc?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Any sort of how-to for Linux on Magnum 4000pc?
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:06:25 +0100
On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 09:07:41AM -0700, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
>       is there a recommended 2.2.x kernel?  2.1?

the current 2.2.1 kernel built from CVS should be the best bet. I'll
upload a kernel in the next days to ftp.linux.sgi.com.

> root filesystem somewhere?

there is a root filesystem:

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mipsel/root/declinuxroot-990128.tgz.

This should work on the Magnum too. An older root filesystem I've made
is

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/root-le-980323.tar.gz

> Would it be reasonably easy to build the filesystem on an intel
> linux system and then boot it on the Mips?

yes. That's how I started, because there was  no SCSI driver at that time.

>       Granted i can run it in little-endian and big-endian, and that i
> have irrational dreams about using it to play MP3's, which endian should i
> use?

for big endian you are at your own, since I don't have any idea how to
use the big extension stuff on my Olivetti M700 (Magnum clone). Everthing
I've done on the platform is little endian. And I guess it doesn't matter
that much for MP3 anyway.

>       Also, I may have found that ever elusive hiss-free sound card, but
> it's a PnP device, and somehow i wonder if isapnptools will function at
> all on a mips system, any thoughts? (The board appears to be a Terratec
> Base 1)

porting isapnp to Magnums is possible. If isapnp uses /dev/port it should
work without major changes, if it does x86 asm to do in/out stuff, it's
more work.

>       On the other hand, is support for the Magnum sound card something
> that appears likely?

if you do it, yes:-) Right now, sound for the Magnum is really low priority
on my much too long todo list. It looks like I'm the only one working on
the Magnum stuff.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]