Re: Any sort of how-to for Linux on Magnum 4000pc?

To: Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Any sort of how-to for Linux on Magnum 4000pc?
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:58:27 +0100
On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 09:07:41AM -0700, Eric Jorgensen wrote:

>       I've decided to finally stop putting it off and get this thing set
> up. So, while I'm still working on getting the 13W3-SVGA adapter figured
> out and built, I'd kinda like to know what lays before me in a software
> sort of sense.

This seems to be a problem which many Linuxers have.  Could you produce
some ASCII writeup for integration into the HOWTO?  Thanks.

>       is there a recommended 2.2.x kernel? 2.1? root filesystem
> somewhere? Would it be reasonably easy to build the filesystem on an intel
> linux system and then boot it on the Mips?

Get the newest you can get from ftp.linux.sgi.com.

>       Granted i can run it in little-endian and big-endian, and that i
> have irrational dreams about using it to play MP3's, which endian should i
> use?

The Magnum is currently only supported in little endian mode.  Supporting
the big endian mode should be a quite easy project as much of the Indy code
can be reused.  Somebody just needs to do it ...

>       Also, I may have found that ever elusive hiss-free sound card, but
> it's a PnP device, and somehow i wonder if isapnptools will function at
> all on a mips system, any thoughts? (The board appears to be a Terratec
> Base 1)

No idea, I've never taken a look at the ISA PNP tools.  At this time all I
can say is it's possible to port the ISA PNP tools but no idea about the
kind of changes or the size of the effort necessary.

>       On the other hand, is support for the Magnum sound card something
> that appears likely?

Yes, because it's a fairly simple device driver - it just needs to be
written.