Any sort of how-to for Linux on Magnum 4000pc?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Any sort of how-to for Linux on Magnum 4000pc?
From: Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:07:41 -0700 (MST)
        I've decided to finally stop putting it off and get this thing set
up. So, while I'm still working on getting the 13W3-SVGA adapter figured
out and built, I'd kinda like to know what lays before me in a software
sort of sense.

        is there a recommended 2.2.x kernel? 2.1? root filesystem
somewhere? Would it be reasonably easy to build the filesystem on an intel
linux system and then boot it on the Mips?

        Granted i can run it in little-endian and big-endian, and that i
have irrational dreams about using it to play MP3's, which endian should i
use?

        Also, I may have found that ever elusive hiss-free sound card, but
it's a PnP device, and somehow i wonder if isapnptools will function at
all on a mips system, any thoughts? (The board appears to be a Terratec
Base 1)

        On the other hand, is support for the Magnum sound card something
that appears likely?

        Thanks much

 - Eric