Re: DECStation Linux native partition format ?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation Linux native partition format ?
From: "Paul M. Antoine" <paul@milleng.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:47:17 +1100
Hi gang,

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 11:59:36AM +0100, Houten K.H.C. van (Karel) wrote:
> The 'native' format for a DECStation is ULTRIX, but that might not be
> available for all hackers. NetBSD might be an alternative, but we
> would have to write the fdisk utility for that format. Last of all,
> we could use the MSDOS/PC format, which works, but is not as flexible
> as the other ones.

>From the responses so far, it seems most folks have got the wrong end of
this particular stick: Karel is asking which *partition* format to use,
not which filesystem type to use to boot from.

I think the problem here is that the DECstation boot proms only know how to
read ULTRIX partition tables, so if we're going to allow folks to boot from
the bootprom on power up we're going to have to live with the ULTRIX partition
table format.  Short of re-writing the boot prom, or writing a multi-stage
boot loader (which must be stored on an ULTRIX partition table entry??)...

At least that's what I believe to be the case.  It could be that the boot
proms know how to read a boot loader, which we could replace with a lilo
lookalike that understands whatever partition table format we want... but
that's not my memory of how the DECstation works.  Anyone else??

Regards,
Paul
Paul M. Antoine                                 Millennium Engineering Pty Ltd
email: paul@milleng.com.au                              Phone: +61 2 9560 7331
large files: pantoine@nsw.bigpond.net.au                Fax:   +61 2 9560 8708