Re: DECStation Linux native partition format ?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation Linux native partition format ?
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:32:18 +0100
On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 11:59:36AM +0100, Houten K.H.C. van (Karel) wrote:
> The 'native' format for a DECStation is ULTRIX, but that might not be
> available for all hackers. NetBSD might be an alternative, but we
> would have to write the fdisk utility for that format. Last of all,
> we could use the MSDOS/PC format, which works, but is not as flexible
> as the other ones.

If your are able to boot from a FAT filesystem without using any special
boot loader, this is one solution. It's available now without any additional
work.

For people, which don't like FAT filesystem (like me, but I don't have
a chance to get rid of the filesystem on my Olivetti M700) you would
implement something like SILO (Sparc). It's working similair to LILO but
is able to read from ext2 partitions.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]