Porting Linux

Subject: Porting Linux
From: MIPS <>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:11:49 +0000 (GMT)

I am considering a port of the MIPs linux to a proprietory MIPs
architecture. We already have cross-compilers and boot loaders for this,
but these works with 'mips-elf' format. The documents relating to
Decstations and so on state you should use 'mips-linux' or 'mipsel-linux'

Presumably the format of the 'executable' containing the kernel is only
relevant to the bootloader or other startup mechanism ? I guess therefore
if we have a mechanism for loading and running mips-elf executables, that
would also get a kernel loaded and started, although clearly it will need
further work in the ./arch/.... directories.

Can anyone comment on that or offer any advice or indicate any
pitfalls or perhaps point me towards any linux porting resources.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
 Bill Melotti Cognito Limited UK