Porting Linux

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Porting Linux
From: MIPS <mips@cognito.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:11:49 +0000 (GMT)
HI

I am considering a port of the MIPs linux to a proprietory MIPs
architecture. We already have cross-compilers and boot loaders for this,
but these works with 'mips-elf' format. The documents relating to
Decstations and so on state you should use 'mips-linux' or 'mipsel-linux'

Presumably the format of the 'executable' containing the kernel is only
relevant to the bootloader or other startup mechanism ? I guess therefore
if we have a mechanism for loading and running mips-elf executables, that
would also get a kernel loaded and started, although clearly it will need
further work in the ./arch/.... directories.

Can anyone comment on that or offer any advice or indicate any
pitfalls or perhaps point me towards any linux porting resources.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

billm@cognito.co.uk
 Bill Melotti Cognito Limited UK