Re: DECStation Linux native partition format ?

Subject: Re: DECStation Linux native partition format ?
From: Mat Kovach <>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 07:25:39 -0500
On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 11:59:36AM +0100, Houten K.H.C. van (Karel) wrote:
: Hi fellow DECStation hackers,
: I was thinking about trying to get a disk bootloader for DECStation Linux.
: But before we can try to get that running, we have to decide what type
: of partition table we want to use (the bootloader must fit together with
: the partition table in the first sectors).
: The 'native' format for a DECStation is ULTRIX, but that might not be
: available for all hackers. NetBSD might be an alternative, but we
: would have to write the fdisk utility for that format. Last of all,
: we could use the MSDOS/PC format, which works, but is not as flexible
: as the other ones.

I think a MSDOS/PC format be a good choice for the initial design.  While
it does not have the flexability, it should have a short development time
(?, I have look into booting yet myself).  It might not be the final solution,
but could be a step towards a final solution.

Mat Kovach
      This e-mail is brought to you by the letter gamma and number e