DECStation Linux native partition format ?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: DECStation Linux native partition format ?
From: "Houten K.H.C. van (Karel)" <K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:59:36 +0100
Cc: K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com
Hi fellow DECStation hackers,

I was thinking about trying to get a disk bootloader for DECStation Linux.
But before we can try to get that running, we have to decide what type
of partition table we want to use (the bootloader must fit together with
the partition table in the first sectors).

The 'native' format for a DECStation is ULTRIX, but that might not be
available for all hackers. NetBSD might be an alternative, but we
would have to write the fdisk utility for that format. Last of all,
we could use the MSDOS/PC format, which works, but is not as flexible
as the other ones.

What are your opinions?

Regards,
Karel.