Re: Problems net booting Decstation

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Problems net booting Decstation
From: Mat Kovach <mkovach@mkovach.nacs.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:59:38 -0500
On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 11:13:49AM +0100, Michael Engel wrote:
:
: Hi,
:
: > Can anyone help with the following problems ?
: >
: > I am trying to netboot (bootp/tftp) a Decstation 5000/200. Although I
: > have bootpd running in debug mode on a Linux box, I cannot seem to find
: > any command that will force the Dec to go and collect the IP address and
: > attempt to start a tftp session.
:

You may want to check the revision level of your bootrom to make sure they
are no known problems with tftp booting.  The NetBSD pages have some info
about the bootproms at

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/board-list.html#proms

My Decstation just won't tftp boot, so I tried kernel by booting the kernel
using the Ultrix bootloader with some success.  Put due to some terrible
luck with the eletric company, that drive was corrupted.

Anybody know of a place I can pickup some Ultrix install media, cheap?

: From the boot monitor, first determine what pseudo TurboChannel slot
: your system board is with
: cnfg
: You should see all your TurboChannel boards listed and an entry for the
: system board with ethernet address, SCSI devices etc. Let's assume the
: number is 3 (I really don't know what the value for a 5000/200 is, sorry ...),
: then you boot via network with
: boot 3/tftp/vmlinux
: (replace vmlinux with the name of your kernel image)
:
: > (Occasionally I do see bootp requests, but I am not really sure where
: > they're coming from, I've had to guess what the HW address of the Dec is
: > by reading the bootptab from machines that I believe were used to netboot
: > this box before)
:
: You can see the hardware address from the cnfg listing ...
:
: regards,
:       Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.org)
:

--
Mat Kovach                                            mkovach@mkovach.nacs.net
      This e-mail is brought to you by the letter gamma and number e