Re: Problems net booting Decstation

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Problems net booting Decstation
From: Michael Engel <engel@math.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:13:49 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> Can anyone help with the following problems ?
>
> I am trying to netboot (bootp/tftp) a Decstation 5000/200. Although I
> have bootpd running in debug mode on a Linux box, I cannot seem to find
> any command that will force the Dec to go and collect the IP address and
> attempt to start a tftp session.

>From the boot monitor, first determine what pseudo TurboChannel slot
your system board is with
cnfg
You should see all your TurboChannel boards listed and an entry for the
system board with ethernet address, SCSI devices etc. Let's assume the
number is 3 (I really don't know what the value for a 5000/200 is, sorry ...),
then you boot via network with
boot 3/tftp/vmlinux
(replace vmlinux with the name of your kernel image)

> (Occasionally I do see bootp requests, but I am not really sure where
> they're coming from, I've had to guess what the HW address of the Dec is
> by reading the bootptab from machines that I believe were used to netboot
> this box before)

You can see the hardware address from the cnfg listing ...

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.org)