Re: spoofing the kenel header...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: spoofing the kenel header...
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 09:45:14 -0700
In message <Pine.GSO.3.96.990304061605.22516B-100000@q7.q7.com> Ryan Sweet
writes:
: Thanks for your informative message.  Do I really need to boot an ecoff
: image, however?

Likely.

: My box is not running CE at the time I load the linux
: kernel.

I know, but it can load the CE kernel, which is almost certainly
PECOFF.

: It starts up with a very simple boot prom that knows just a few
: things: 1) how to tftpboot if given an image name, an ip, and a server, 2)
: it wants the image to contain a certain string in the kernel header.  On
: my valid CE images, this string lies somewhere in the first 40 bytes.
: Would the boot prom also care what executable format the image was in?

What is the certain string?  I think you'll need to create the same
kind of image for this.  Copy a valid CE image over to your linux
machine and run file(1) on it.  That should tell you the format of the
image.

The boot loader has to know something about the image format.

Building a coff kernel is very very very easy.  Another option that I
didn't think about in my last message would be to see if the
binutils/gcc still support generating ecoff images.  I know at one
time a different target would get you this, but haven't looked in a
while.  I think this is still the case.

Warner