spoofing the kenel header...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: spoofing the kenel header...
From: Ryan Sweet <ryan@end.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:39:51 -0800 (PST)
I am working on porting to a CE device that uses the r4300. It loads CE
using tftp.  I can feed it a linux kernel instead of the CE OS, but it
chokes on a check that the bootprom does against a string that it expects
in the header fo the file it is downloading.  I can tweak the kernel with
a binary editor, at which point it loads the image, but chokes because the
checksum mismatches.

Is there a way that I can specify a certain string be included in the
kernel header from offset 000000 through offset 00012f?  Can I do this int
he src, or is there a way to do it in a binary editor and then spoof the
checksum?

thanks,
-ryan

Ryan Sweet