Re: Linux on Mips based Handheld computer

Subject: Re: Linux on Mips based Handheld computer
From: Warner Losh <>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:27:59 -0700
Cc: "Per Christopher Aarĝe Undheim" <>
In message <> "Per Christopher Aar e Undheim"
: Any development ongoing for getting linux on Handheld mips based
: computers as the Compaq C-series machines?

: They run a 75 mhz MIPS risc
: prosessor, but as of now, I havent gotten any extencive info from compaq
: about the cpu.

That matters a lot :-)

: I am planing to buy myself on on theese machines, and
: running windows CE is not an option ;) Theese machines has many snacksy
: features, and should be a cool machine to run linux on.. The base models
: is equiped with 8-20-32 mb ram  a 16 mb rom (obviosly need some info
: from compaq into how the rom could be removed/ replaced/erased.) allso
: supporting flash cards for storage.

You can't erase the ROMs, but you can replace them.  However, that is

: Please let me know if you have any input. I fear I will spend much time
: in hacking around with it all on my own  ;P

See my other messages to linux-mips for the status of the generic
efforts to get Linux on these machines.