RE: On my DECStation....

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: On my DECStation....
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:07:30 +0100 (MET)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi,

On 09-Feb-99 Karel van Houten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just this evening, on my DECStation:
>
> [root@elrond /root]# cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/
> [root@elrond scsi]# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> [root@elrond scsi]# insmod -v scsi_mod.o
> [root@elrond scsi]# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> scsi_mod               61936   0  (unused)
> [root@elrond scsi]# insmod -v NCR53C9x.o
> [root@elrond scsi]# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> NCR53C9x               50772   0  (unused)
> scsi_mod               61936   0  [NCR53C9x]
> [root@elrond scsi]# insmod -v dec_esp.oo
> SCSI ID 7  Clock 25 MHz CCF=0 Time-Out 167 NCR53C9x(esp236) detected
> ESP: Total of 1 ESP hosts found, 1 actually in use.
> scsi0 : ESP236
> scsi : 1 host.
> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 0) timed out - trying harder
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> SCSI host 0 reset (pid 0) timed out again -
> probably an unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang.
>
> (now this window hangs, but I can shutdown from a different window).

Great! That will help me a lot.

> Harald, a you see I've made the scsi support modular. You said a while
> ago you where working on SCSI. I thought it might be helpfull to make it
> modular, so debugging is easier.
>
> I'm not really in that kind of code, but when I look in dec_esp.c,
> it looks like it only support straight turbochannel cards, not IOASIC
> SCSI.
>
> Any news?

Yes, of course. I just recovered from upgrading my Intel box to SuSE 6.0
and the 2.2.1 kernel. Rebuild the crosscompiling tool chain, reconstruct
config files I forgot to backup and all this stuff, you probably know...

:-)

I was just beginning to dig deeper into the IOASIC SCSI DMA stuff for the
onboard SCSI chip. Unfortunately this topic isn't covered by the AXP Manual
so all we have is existing code from Mach and *BSD.

First experiments (without DMA) on my '260 show (Note the id 2 in the first
"aborting command" error message):

ESP: Total of 1 ESP hosts found, 1 actually in use.
scsi0 : ESP236
scsi : 1 host.
dma_init_read: vaddr=00000000, length=00000010
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
lun 0 Request Sense 00 00 00 10 00
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 2) timed out - resetting

Id 2 is the first device on the SCSI bus. Not too bad for a first shot,
IMHO. My '133 doesn't come that far which shows that NCR53C9X.c is in
badly need of some wbflush()es.

---
Regards,
Harald