Re: [HELP]:MIPS Millennium 4000SC-50

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: [HELP]:MIPS Millennium 4000SC-50
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:34:23 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
>       I'm not sure why you want to run linux in big-endian mode on it, but to
> each his own. This is a bi-endian machine, and most of the work on mips
> porting software has been to the little-endian target.

Uh, just to clarify this: there is a pretty sizeable mipseb porting
project, although traditionally it's targetted towards SGI hardware. From
the userland perspective, we've had Red Hat 5.1 ported for about half a
year, and you can even buy it on CD from Red Hat (unsupported).

Certainly, though, there've been many more different mipsel machines
ported, primarily because there are more different ones, and on the SGI
side we've stuck to pretty much one machine, the Indy.

But mipseb development is very active.

- Alex

--
Alex deVries, puffin on LinuxNet.