Re: Good news and bad...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Good news and bad...
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 22:21:32 +0100 (MET)
On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Gleb O. Raiko wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> > The point at which INIT is supposed to switch over to INIT mode 3...
> >  it hangs - or appears to hang.
> >
> > Possibly this is the patch that Gleb has been talking about...
> > Can someone post the final patch that came out of that?
> >

> Attached here is part of the final patch I've sent to Harald. (I removed
> the Baget-specific part from the original patch.) The patch fixes two
> bugs I and Vladimir encountered in 2.1.131. One bug is that init hangs
> while switching to runlevel 3 due to a process doesn't switch to the
> user mode correctly. Another one is that a system call with 4 arguments
> aren't restarted properly. (The last argument contains garbage.) Ralf
> sent a patch for the latter problem in the list, it's supposed to be an
> old bug as Ralf said.

I haven't applied Ralf's patch.

> I still have problems with 2.1.131, but I am not sure these problems are
> related to 2.1.131 only. For example, gdb still aren't built from
> sources, gcc gets signal 11, but it might be due to 2.1.131 is bigger
> and I just see the fact ram is ended up. (There is still no support for
> swapping over network and support for such kind of swapping seems to be
> insoluble with current design of the kernel.) Another problem is related
> to gdb again. It can't get contents of the CPU registers from the
> kernel, namely, float registers and badvaddr. Again, I don't know
> whether it's only 2.1.131 problem.

First following output is with your patch applied and second without. Both
with a verbose init as you can see and Karel's latest rootimage. Would
this be because Ralfs patch is missing or is something else going on?

Regards,
Richard

Freeing unused kernel memory: 48k freed
INIT: version 2.76 booting
INIT: Reading inittab
INIT: Checking for children to kill
INIT: Checking for children to start
INIT: Started id si (pid 6)
 init_main: waiting..
Mon Feb  1 21:41:05 1999
Activating swap partitions
hostname: MAXine
Checking root filesystems.
Parallelizing fsck version 1.10 (24-Apr-97)
[/sbin/fsck.nfs] fsck.nfs -a /dev/root
Checking filesystems.
Parallelizing fsck version 1.10 (24-Apr-97)
Checking all file systems.
----------------------------------
Mounting local filesystems.
can't set font
Setting clock: Mon Feb  1 21:41:15 CET 1999
Enabling swap space.
Initializing random number generator...
INIT: chld_handler: marked 6 as zombie

Freeing unused kernel memory: 48k freed
INIT: version 2.76 booting
INIT: Reading inittab
INIT: Checking for children to kill
INIT: Checking for children to start
INIT: Started id si (pid 6)
INIT: ain: waiting..
Mon Feb  1 22:07:03 1999
Activating swap partitions
hostname: MAXine
Checking root filesystems.
Parallelizing fsck version 1.10 (24-Apr-97)
[/sbin/fsck.nfs] fsck.nfs -a /dev/root
Checking filesystems.
Parallelizing fsck version 1.10 (24-Apr-97)
Checking all file systems.
----------------------------------
Mounting local filesystems.
can't set font
Setting clock: Mon Feb  1 22:07:12 CET 1999
Enabling swap space.
Initializing random number generator...
INIT: chld_handler: marked 6 as zombie
INIT: got SIGCHLD