Re: DEC linux root file system uploaded

Subject: Re: DEC linux root file system uploaded
From: Harald Koerfgen <>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 09:08:42 +0100

Richard van den Berg wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 06:57:15PM +0100, Richard van den Berg wrote:
> >
> > > That's because of lack of a.out support of binutils, and as far as I
> > > understand will never happen in the official binutils. The solution for
> > > this is described at
> > >

> > I removed the a.out support from the binutils because I though nobody
> > would have any use for it anymore.  Some time ago I discussed this with
> > Harald, his answer did was that there would be no real reason to add it
> > back.
> Perhaps because the need for it lasts longer then Harald expected.

Well, simply because nobody changed it. I focussed on getting the ball
rolling instead of makeing the building process clean :-).

> > If there is a good reason to add a.out back, just say so.  It's
> > really a trivial change.
> It's only needed to get a DECstation loading Linux ;-) I've build a rpm
> package and load that up to for as short as it is
> needed.

A trivial change to head.S and a little bit of makefile/linker script
wizardy would not only make support for a.out unnecessary but would add
back initrd support for _all_ MIPS platforms. This might be handy when
it comes to installing Linux.