Re: linux for palm pc:s

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: linux for palm pc:s
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:36:39 -0700
In message <113A17BE78F3D011981300609762CEA78695@bamse> Mats Wessling writes:
: As a Nino (palm pc with a mips (R3000 sort of?)) user I wonder if
: anyone is interested in porting Linux to this hardware?

The Philips NINO uses a R3990 chipset.  This is basically a R3000 ISA
with a R4000 tlb, at least that's what it looks like from the limited
doc reading I've done.  The docs shouldn't be too hard to come by in
sufficient detail to get devices for this port working.

There is currently an effort underway to write a loader that runs
under WinCE that will load the kernel.  This is at very early stages
of development and requires the MS tools to build.  It is no where
near the stage of release.

There is a parallel effort, the part I'm doing when not answering
questions about the first, to get gcc to build mips/pe binaries.

Sadly, in the last week, I dropped both of my MobilePro 400's on the
floor, shattering their LCD displays.  I'd love to get them repaired,
but fear that it will cost to many $$$ to do so.  The devices are
still working, so may end up as a cheap dialin server for me when I
travel if I can't get them fixed.

Warner