Re: More issues on root fs...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: More issues on root fs...
From: Matthias Heidbrink <mh@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:19:05 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

Harald Koerfgen
> Just beeing curious, does anybody have an idea how this compares to an old
> Intel 386?

A friend of mine has done it on a 386SX with 8 MB RAM, I think, 16 or 20 Mhz.
It took 8 hours. When I had a 386DX33 with 16 MB RAM, it took me about 1 hour.
Both machines worked on local SCSI hard disks connected to an Adaptec 1542b
controller (the fastest what you get for an ISA machine, max. about 2 MB/s).
The difference between the machines seems to have resulted from the RAM.

I have a Whitechapel Hitech-10 with a R2000/16Mhz and 8 MB RAM.
The usual benchmarks show a performance a bit worse than a SparcStation 2
or a 486/33. But if I'll ever manage to get Linux running on this box?-)

Ciao, Matthias
--
Matthias Heidbrink     E-Mail:
Helmstedter Str. 20    Matthias_Heidbrink@b.maus.de   (max. 16 KB/day)