RE: MOP loading

To: Mat Kovach <mkovach@alpha.theshagster.com>
Subject: RE: MOP loading
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:14:09 +0100 (MET)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi Mat,

On 25-Jan-19 Mat Kovach wrote:
> I playing around with a DECstation 5000/240 with some limited success. I
> have
> had limited success with the decstation kernel with my main problem
> being
> that it has the boot prom that doesn't like to tftp boot so I have been
> trying the MOP loader, anybody else using it?
>
> I notice two things.
>
>  * The MOP loader needs to be updated if you plan to use 2.1.X or 2.2.X.
>    sent a message to the maintainer to see if it was going to be updated
> but
>    haven't recieved a reply as of yet.  Doesn't look appear to hard to
>    move it to the new kernel, anybody interested in this?  I'm working
> on
>    doing it now just trying to see a need or desire for it.
>
>  * Is anybody booting the decstation kernel from the local hard drive
> with
>    any reasonable amount of success?  I made a few attemps with out much
>    success.

Booting Linux from a local hard drive isn't supported yet but if you still
have Ultrix on your disk then there's a chance.

The Ultrix bootloader understands the layout of the kernel. Just build a
netbootable kernel image any copy it onto you hard disk. Then boot with,
for example:

>>boot 3/rz2/nbImage console=ttyS2

This example is correct if the kernel image "nbImage" is in the root
directory of drive rz2.

Unfortunately the NetBSD bootloader doesn't work.

Hope this helps.
---
Regards,
Harald