Re: Problems w/ 2.1.131 on r3k

To: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Problems w/ 2.1.131 on r3k
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:11:37 +0100
On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 11:52:17AM +0300, Gleb O. Raiko wrote:

> Only small question, diff between 2.1.121 and 2.1.131 doesn't show this
> change, but 2.1.121 isn't affected by this issue at all. What was
> changed in 2.1.131 ? Was it common, i.e. system-independed code ?

This bug is pretty old, it must have been introduced somewhen between
2.1.73 and 2.1.90.  It's a bug that affects all MIPS systems.  Therefore
you actually should have observed this problem in 2.1.121 as well.

> > > I had to apply the patch which is attached here. Without this patch,
> > > user process will never leave the kernel mode. (Harald, with the patch
> > > the kernel should be 'more stable').
> >
> > Looks correct but won't work on R4000, so I don't put it into my
> > sources.
>
> Yes, I know. It was only quick dirty fix. I'll resubmit this patch with
> correct behaviour for all mipses soon.

> BTW, have you accepted Vladimir's changes in the kernel memcpy? 2.1.131
> doesn't contain them.

I've got a tarball of 84kb new files and a 35kb patch from Harald pending
to be merged.  I just checked, no trace of a memcpy patch in both of them,
could you please resend to me?  Thanks.