Re: Root file system again...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Root file system again...
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:31:45 +0100
On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 11:01:27AM +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 1999 at 08:18:57PM -0500, Thomas Riemer wrote:
> >
> > 1. /sbin/clock is missing - what does /sbin/clock do?
>
> Read and write to the hardware clock - AFAIK currently unsupported.

correct. I've modified the sources of /sbin/clock to work with the 2.1.x
/dev/rtc. The only thing you need to do for the Decstatation is to add
/dev/rtc support to your kernel. You can find the SRPMS for it on
ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mipsel-linux/SRPMS.

> You need something like "ntpdate" or "netdate" to set the system time
> from a second system. This already gives you the error with
> the "Modification time in future" ...

which only sets the kernel clock, but not the hardware clock.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]