Re: DECStation mipsel rpm's

Subject: Re: DECStation mipsel rpm's
From: Alex deVries <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:47:06 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Houten K.H.C. van (Karel) wrote:
> Ralf,
> You are absolutely correct, but all the nice rpm's at cobaltmicro
> are mips instead of mipsel. I added this to my rpm to make it easy
> to install these packages. I hope mips.rpm will die out soon!

This is something that's annoyed me for quite some time.  At one point I
tried to convince some folks at Cobalt Micro to rebuild their packages as
Red Hat's final word was mipseb/mipsel should stick.  I guess they made a
point of ignoring me on it.

mipsel really is the way to go.  Anyone who packages as mips is making a
mistake.  It's especially bad if they're releasing an entirely mislabeled

- Alex

Alex deVries, puffin on LinuxNet.
I know exactly what I want in life.