Re: DECStation mipsel rpm's

To: Karel van Houten <K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation mipsel rpm's
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 01:27:50 +0100
On Sun, Jan 24, 1999 at 06:52:39PM +0100, Karel van Houten wrote:

> I now compiled some packages with Thomas's egcs / binutils,
> and have uploaded those to
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~karel/mipsel/SysVinit-2.76-1.mipsel.rpm
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~karel/mipsel/rpm-2.5.5-5.2D.mipsel.rpm
>
> These should be R3k OK. please try them out!
> The rpm also accepts 'mips' achitecture rpm's, but will
> refuse 'mipseb'.

The is a deliberate incompatibility.  Old rpm packages for both little
and big endian has the same architecture in the rpm header and file
extension.  It was therefore possible to ruin a system by installing
the wrong binary flavour.  The only save way to avoid this was to make
rpm reject old .mips.rpm packages and introduce two new flavours
.mipse{b,l}.rpm.

If you're still using such an old rpm version that only knows .mips.rpm
then you'll have various other problems with rebuilding packages.

In the meantime there is no necessity to reintroduce the old design bug
again.  If you want to force installation of a package for another
architecture be it mips, mipsel, mipseb or something weired as ppc then
you can force rpm into doing that by using the option --ignorearch.

As an alternative you can add the line

  arch_compat: mipsel: mips

to /usr/lib/rpmrc which will reintroduce the old problem ...