Re: Root FS.

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Root FS.
From: K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com (Karel van Houten)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 19:03:10 +0100 (MET)
Cc: K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com (Houten K.H.C. van )
Hi

Harald wrote:

> egcs-1.0.2-9.mipsel.rpm
> binutils-2.8.1-2.mipsel.rpm
>
> from ftp.franken.de/pub/people/tsbogend/mips
>
> and
>
> glibc-2.0.7-7.mips.rpm
> glibc-devel-2.0.7-7.mips.rpm
>
> from ftp.cobaltmicro.com/pub/ (sorry, I don't have the URL at hand)
>
> and
>
> make-3.76.1-5.mipsel.rpm
> patch-2.5-5.mipsel.rpm
>
> from ftp.cleveland.lug.net/pub/Mipsel/RPMS
>
> to build your own packages. You may have to use --nodeps to install these.
>
> I used these to build sysvinit-2.76 because sysvinit from Karel's root fs
> indeed doesn't work on R3k machines. Unfortunately init still doesn't
> switch to runlevel 3 on my '133 where is does on my '260.

To clarify a bit more about my root-image:

 I stared with root-le-980323.tar.gz from ftp.linux.sgi.com.
 Then I recompiled gcc, lots of packages (to get rid of pam, shadow, etc.),
 and installed a small working set on this root image. I tested it
 on my 260, but I have no R3k system here a home.
 The init is 2.76, compiled with my local compiled gcc (gcc-2.7.2-4).

Maybe my compiler produces R4k code... I'll install egcs tomorrow, I think.

At the moment the system is happily compiling glibc, without swapspace :-).

Karel van Houten