Re: root filesystem

Subject: Re: root filesystem
From: Harald Koerfgen <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:56:08 +0100

Houten K.H.C. van (Karel) wrote:
> Thomas Riemer wrote:
> > The root filesystem that was posted last weekend doesn't work
> > on the DS2100.  It never seems to give me a console...
> >
> > It looks like it fails to start init.
> >
> > It finishes with "Freeing unused kernel memory: 48k freed"
> >
> > And then never comes up with anything...
> >
> > Any thoughts???
> Maybe I forgot to mention in the README: You have to correct the
> symlink /dev/console to your setup. My console is on /dev/ttyS2,
> so I made /dev/console -> /dev/ttyS2.
> Sorry for the confusion.

Why don't you let the kernel handle this?

Here's a snippet from linux/Documentation/serial_console.txt:

You will need to create a new device to use /dev/console. The official
/dev/console is now character device
Here's an example that will use /dev/ttyS1 (COM2) as the
Replace the sample values as
1. Create /dev/console (real console) and /dev/tty0 (master
   cd /dev
   rm -f console tty0mknod -m 622 console c 5 1
   mknod -m 622 tty0 c 4

And then boot with boot ... console=... or hack your device driver to
appear the line you want to use as your console line as ttyS0.

Hope this helps,