Re: 2.1.131 strikes back!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: 2.1.131 strikes back!
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:54:08 +0100 (MET)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi,

On 18-Jan-99 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 10:33:59PM +0100, Harald Koerfgen wrote:
>
>> This is on my DECstation 5000/260 running two "make -j 10 netboot" in
>> parallel on two kernel source trees. I booted in single user mode,
>> started
>> inetd manually and opened four telnet sessions :-).
>
> Cool!

BTW, does that qualify for going multiuser? <grin>

>> The bug was simple but not necessary obvious: duplicate labels in
>> r2300_misc.S and r4k_misc.S which, although not declared as such, were
>> global.
>>
>> Quick'n'dirty fix: rename those labels.
>
> Looks like a bug in the assembler or linker.  Your patch actually
> shouldn't
> make a difference.  Can you try to disassemble the object files rsp. the
> kernel executable and find the difference between the good and the
> broken
> kernel image?

Well, you were right, Ralf, it doesn't make a difference. A simple test
showed that the behaviour on the serial console line didn't change. Bang
again. At least my test lead me into the right direction: the serial device
drivers was (and still is) in badly need for some polishing.

Applying the attached patch seems to change everything to normal,
including the slowed down init :-(. On the other hand, if such little
changes affect the speed of init I would consider the zs serial device
driver as scrap. Any volunteers? <evil grin>

While speaking about the subject: Tom, what about your DS 2100? Do you see
an abnormal slowdown of init?

Ride safe.
---
Regards,
Harald

P.S.: Please simply forget my patch to r2300_misc.S. This is completly
NULL.

P.P.S: I am going to do some work on the annoying "Warning: File '...'
has modification time in the future" feature :-).