Re: 2.1.131 strikes back!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: 2.1.131 strikes back!
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:04:59 +0100
On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 08:41:30AM +0100, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> IMHO these symbols shouldn't be visible to the outside world and, as
> such, shouldn't appear in System.map, or am I on the wrong track here?

The system.map also contains local symbols, it's just that most of them
like the ones starting with a dollar-sign get filtere out during generation
of System.map.  Just checkout the output of mipsel-linux-objdump --syms
<kernel>.

Anyway, as these symbols are local symbols they are visible in the symbol
table but cannot be referenced from another file, so the old code was ok.
So if your change really makes a difference this smells like a bug in the
assembler / linker.