Re: concurent running init on DECstations

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: concurent running init on DECstations
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:29:48 +0100 (MET)
On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> > [root@fortuna /root]# ps ax
> >   PID  TTY STAT   TIME COMMAND
> >     1  ?   S      0:00 init bo
> >     2  ?   SW     0:00 (kflushd)
> >     3  ?   SWN    0:00 (kswapd)
> >     4  ?   SW     0:00 (rpciod)
> >     5  S2  S      0:00 init bo
> >     6  S2  S      0:01 sh /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
> >    15  S2  S      0:01 -bash
> >    32  S2  R      0:00 ps ax
> >
> > And shows 2 init's to my surprise, which might be the cause of the
> > problem. But how is it possible that there are 2 init's running?
>
> That might be a compile time debug option for the init which
> lets the init fork at startup to make in straceable and debuggable ...

Don't think so, this is init with debug options compiled (just got the
sources and compiled it):

[root@fortuna /root]# ps afx
  PID  TTY STAT   TIME COMMAND
    1  ?   S      0:00 init bo
    2  ?   SW     0:00 (kflushd)
    3  ?   SWN    0:00 (kswapd)
    4  ?   SW     0:00 (rpciod)
    5  ?   S      0:00 init bo
    6  S2  S      0:00  \_ init bo
    7  S2  S      0:01       \_ sh /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
   16  S2  S      0:01            \_ -bash
   29  S2  R      0:00                 \_ ps afx

And when the machine tries to go multi user (with line in fstab containing
the root fs), the last line is:

INIT: chld_handler: marked 6 as zombie

Anybody suggestions what's causing this?

Regards,
Richard