Re: SGI/Linux press

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux@engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: SGI/Linux press
From: tor@spacetec.no (Tor Arntsen)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:49:37 +0100
>Linux is hardly as scalable as Irix, so don't expect to see SGI abandoning
>Irix, says an unnamed source. But Linux may be faster, at least according to
>the same source, who found that Linux is twice as fast as Irix on
>single-processor systems.

Well, if IRIX moves in the "Cellular IRIX" direction then it wouldn't be
much overlap between Linux and IRIX anytime soon I think.. and the two
should be happy living together, covering the need of all SGI customers :-)

(But if SGI isn't announcing Linux to run (well!) on the VPC Real Soon Now
then I'm going to buy something else.  I'm holding back my purchase a little
more (I'm in for a workstation upgrade), and O2 is out of the question -- we
used to buy lots of them but we recently changed our policy to "If it doesn't
run Linux we won't buy it".  Seriously.  We're just so fed up with the sw
maintenance contracts you need just to get the irix upgrades.  And our
developers love to work on Linux boxes anyway.. me too, and I'm no IRIX
hater, quite the opposite in fact.)

- Tor