Re: Boot success/root-nfs

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Boot success/root-nfs
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 17:31:21 +0100 (MET)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi,

On 02-Jan-99 Florian Lohoff wrote:

>> Florian, declance.c doesn't work on my '260, so I'd like to ask you a
>> few
>> R4000 related questions:
>
> It doesnt work on my /240 either ... It sends out packages and
> it gets the FIRST but no others - It receives the BOOTP request answer
> correct but the tcpdump output shows that it trys to ask my
> sunrpc for the port numbers for the mountd/nfsd which my machine
> answers but it doesnt seem to creep up the Kernel.

Exactly the same for my '260. The LANCE refuses to receive further packets
 after having received 3 (three) packets. Can be checked with defining
TEST_HITS.

>> o How long does it take for init to start? It takes several _minutes_
>> on
>> my '133 and tcpdump doesn't show any activity on the wire.
>
> Yup multiple minutes ...

Ok, then this is not processor dependant.

>> o Can you switch the runlevel? Doesn't work on my '133, machine hangs
>> completely.
>
> It looks like it does - It boots into and then shows me a change to
> 3 and trys then to start a mingetty on /dev/ttyS2 which doesnt seem to
> work :)
>
>> o Does mount work with a vanilla /bin/mount? It didn't on my '133. This
>> is
>> no big deal. Replacing /bin/mount with an rpm from ftp.cobaltmicro.com
>> _did_ work.
>
> It does ... I tried to replace the init by the one on CobaltMicro
> but that doesnt help so - What on earth is the init doing ?

I am beginning to wonder. I built a statically linked init for an R3000
target and this is *way* faster, but I doubt that this is a ld.so problem.
init executes some shell scripts and bash is dynamically linked...

Anyway, I am going to clean up my source tree a little bit.
---
Regards,
Harald