RE: Boot success/root-nfs

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: Boot success/root-nfs
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 09:36:35 +0100 (MET)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi,

On 01-Jan-99 Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Hi,
> just got the declance.c (V0.007) and downloaded the root-le
> (RedHat *idontlikeredhat*)
>
> Ok - except the mounting errors because of the root-fs not beeing a
> ext2 :) it works.

:-)

> I got some really funny "RPC: sendmsg returned errror 128" error msgs
> leading to a "Server not responding". Dont know but suddenly they are
> gone.
> Ill report again.

As I've said, I wouldn't call 0.007 rock-solid, but, hey, we're hacking
aren't we?

> Anotherone is that the kernel is unable to find an initial console
> until you link /dev/console -> /dev/ttyS2 (for me) ...

Sorry, forgot to mention, you have to change /dev/console and /dev/tty
according to linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt.

> Now i am up and running (real slow -> seperate mail).
>
> cpu                   : MIPS
> cpu model             : R4000SC V3.0
> system type           : Digital DECstation 5000/1xx
> BogoMIPS              : 49.81
> byteorder             : little endian
> unaligned accesses    : 0
> wait instruction      : no
> microsecond timers    : yes
> extra interrupt vector        : no
> hardware watchpoint   : yes
> VCED exceptions               : 554
> VCEI exceptions               : 108

Florian, declance.c doesn't work on my '260, so I'd like to ask you a few
R4000 related questions:

o How long does it take for init to start? It takes several _minutes_ on
my '133 and tcpdump doesn't show any activity on the wire.

o Can you switch the runlevel? Doesn't work on my '133, machine hangs
completely.

o Does mount work with a vanilla /bin/mount? It didn't on my '133. This is
no big deal. Replacing /bin/mount with an rpm from ftp.cobaltmicro.com
_did_ work.

---
Regards,
Harald