Re: Still no-go/gcc 2.7.2/binutils 2.8.1

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Still no-go/gcc 2.7.2/binutils 2.8.1
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 18:42:41 +0100
Sender: flo@mini.gt.owl.de
On Fri, Jan 01, 1999 at 04:16:57PM +0100, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> [snip]
> > First the machine boots correct and afterwards suddenly i havnt
> > got an arp entry asking for it on the ethernet and nobody answering ...
> >
> > *Aaaaaaaarghl*
> >
> > Ok - got it - The machine wont answer arp requests on tftp download
> > and it seems that the development kernels (running 2.2pre1ac4/i386)
> > do have very small arp timeouts ... When i hardcode the MAC Addr
> > in my arp table it fully downloads the kernel ...
>
> Hmmm...., I am still using 2.0.32.

Jep - that seems to be the problem somewhere in 2.1 the arp state machine
seems to have moved and/or replaced. There seems to be an expiry problem.
Mail to linux-kernel@vger is out ...

> > The 5000/150 shows me a "Launching Kernel"
> > "This is a 5000/1xx" .. and stops ...
> >
> > The 5000/260 shows me a "Launsching kernel ..."
> > "This DECstation is a DS5000/2x0" and stops ... Hmm
>
> Well, that one should be easy. I guess you forgot to tell the kernel which
> console device to use. Actually the numbering of the serial ports is
> ttyS[01] - mouse and keyboard, ttyS2 - port #3, ttyS3 - port #2 for
> 5000/1xx and 5000/2x0 and the only serial port on a 5000/xx (Personal
> DECstation) is ttyS0. Linux, by default, chooses the first port capable of
> beeing a console device, which is ttyS0. This won't work on your machines.

Ok - got it - Works on the 5000/150 with console=ttyS2.
Currently i think the declance doesnt work for me - I have compiled
the kernel with Kernel Level Autoconfig/BootP and root-nfs but
i only get debugging messages from the declance driver although
i get the correct mac address shown ...

> >>boot 3/tftp/... console=ttyS2 root=/dev/ram
>
> should do the trick. Yes, you have to tell the kernel which is the root fs
> too. Unless..., well see my other posting :-)
>
> And, Florian, DECstation-Linux isn't generic i.e., you have to compile the
> source tree with the right CPU selected. That means two kernels for you,
> one with CONFIG_CPU_R3000 for your '240 and one with CONFIG_CPU_R4xx0 for
> your '150.

I was aware of that. I am working with the /150 as the booting is MUCH
faster as the BootProm of the /240 is a bit buggy and shows a debugging
line for every tftp packet which is a lot on a 1.3MB kernel and 9600 8N1 :)

Ok - where do i get a working declance ?

I think i have to look into CVS to look into the vger CVS trees ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-5241-470566
Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).  (RFC 1925)