Re: R6000 & linux

To: Stefano Ricca <riccadm@riccasrl.com>
Subject: Re: R6000 & linux
From: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 05:27:28 -0600
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Stefano Ricca wrote:
> I've got an old Bull/IBM DPX-20 which is R6000-based (the non-ppc one). Are
                                           ^^^^^

I assume you mean "RS6000".  'RS6000' is a general term for a whole line
of IBM workstation products.  Before they were based on the powerpc, they
were based on the POWER cpu, which is what powerpc is derived from.  It
is NOT A MIPS CHIP.

> there chances to run Linux on it? It has AIX 3.2.5 now.

This question would be more appropriate on the linuxppc lists, but the
answer is probably "unlikely".  It is mentioned on their interactive
"wishlist" at:
        http://www.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jonh/lppc/faq.pl?file=388
...but there is noone working on it to my knowledge.  The documentation
for these machines is scarce.

-Mitch