Re: Still no-go/gcc 2.7.2/binutils 2.8.1

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Still no-go/gcc 2.7.2/binutils 2.8.1
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:47:19 +0100 (MET)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Fellow DECstation hackers,

On 30-Dec-98 Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 1998 at 05:07:01PM +0100, Harald Koerfgen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 26-Dec-98 Florian Lohoff wrote:
>> > Result is an nbImage which still doesnt boot correctly -
>> > Here is an objdump --syms and an -h of the resulting file
>> > as i think the bug is there - The Decstation wont boot completely
>> > through and stops in the tftp download which i then can abort via
>> > ctrl-c
>>
>> That's strange indeed.
>>
>> Hmmm... May it be that you have a PROM with a buggy TFTP loader?
>
> Dont think so - Both machines (/150 and /240) booted previous kernels
> like a charm.

Do others have similar problems?

Indeed, the startup process has changed since the tags are gone, but that
isn't visible to the PROM. What is the latest kernel version that worked
for you, Florian?

If you still have an old source tree, you could try to compile that, to
check wether your toolchain is working. Alternatively, I can send you a
kernel image that works for me, if you're interested.

>> Don't trust your PROM. Never.
>
>:) Ill try a bit ...
>
> Flo

Happy hacking.