Re: Still no-go/gcc 2.7.2/binutils 2.8.1

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Still no-go/gcc 2.7.2/binutils 2.8.1
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:36:57 +0100
Sender: flo@mini.gt.owl.de
On Mon, Dec 28, 1998 at 05:07:01PM +0100, Harald Koerfgen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 26-Dec-98 Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > Hi,
> > after sitting 3 hours in front of the TV watching apathic and depressiv
> > into the tube i went back to my bit-shifter.
> >
> > I recompiled all gcc and binutils things - Repatched the kernel
> > and fixed some __LANGUAGE_ASSEMBLY__ vs _LANGUAGE_ASSEMBLY bugs
> > in the include/asm-mips region to get gcc compile.
> >
> > Result is an nbImage which still doesnt boot correctly -
> > Here is an objdump --syms and an -h of the resulting file
> > as i think the bug is there - The Decstation wont boot completely
> > through and stops in the tftp download which i then can abort via
> > ctrl-c
>
> That's strange indeed.
>
> Hmmm... May it be that you have a PROM with a buggy TFTP loader?

Dont think so - Both machines (/150 and /240) booted previous kernels
like a charm.

> Another possibility would be to keep the .text and .data segment sizes
> below 1MB.

Already tried that - Had an 800K total kernel i think - Same behaviour.

> > BTW: This is binutils 2.8.1 + patches and gcc 2.7.2 + patches.
> >
> > Ok - Ill wait 4 weeks until i retry otherwise i cant stand this unsuccess.
>
> FYI, it took me two weeks of hard work to make my DS5k/133 grok the kernel
> image.
> I found out that the PROM of this machine (KN02-BA V5.7j) wants to have
> .sdata and .sbss sections, even if empty. That's why elf2ecoff doesn't work
> and
> the NetBSD people say that this PROM doesn't boot via TFTP.
>
> Don't trust your PROM. Never.

:) Ill try a bit ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-5241-470566
Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).  (RFC 1925)