Re: RM200

To: Michael Engel <engel@math.uni-siegen.de>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: RM200
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:29:51 +0100
On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 09:27:45AM +0100, Michael Engel wrote:

> You need to modify MILO 0.27.1 to properly detect the RM200 ISA.
> The ARC firmware in the RM200 loads the kernel with a 8 byte offset to
> what is expected (bug, bug ;-)), so the ARC bootloader jump to the wrong
> address. Btw., you should specify the "-v" flag to milo to get some nice
> output about what the ARC console thinks the system is :).

More evil.  This feature is actually within spec.  The specification say that
a program has either to include the required relocation information or to
be fully relocatable.  With ECOFF ...  I solved that by using SVR4 PIC code
which I squeeze into ECOFF binaries using a small converter program
included with 0.27.1.  Don't even dare to dare to think about eventually
considering the use of binutils for linking ELF/PIC code into ECOFF/PIC.
You'll find zillions of interesting bugs.