Re: Device Drivers

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Device Drivers
From: Thomas Riemer <triemer@apt4g.a3nyc.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 23:34:48 -0500 (EST)
In part this is because there's no proof of concept...
i.e. its sort of the catch-22.  If there hadn't been a working
kernel for linux - then there would be no linux to contribute to...

Since there is no working piece of code that does anything close
to this - however primitive - (aside from the lddk - which looks like
its reached a dead end) - there's nothing to improve...

Its funny how things that look like good ideas require not only
an initial piece of code, but also a single person who is willing
to respond to each contribution - in order to get them jumpstarted.

Its the kind of thing where you find a grad student looking for something
significant to do and you pump him up to do it...

>From what little I've been able to find on UDI - seems like a good idea
without any real backing... the home page

http://ftp.sco.com/misc/producs/layered/develop/devspecs/udi

Seems to have no valuable info other than email addresses.  All the
links are broken.

I'm guessing from your reaction that they are approaching the other
direction - i.e. define a spec and then figure out what to do with the
spec.  It probably needs to be something more organic... i.e. you
try to write one simple driver in an abstract fashion, followed by
a second, a third, etc...

-Tom

Given enough eyeballs all bugs seem shallow.